Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 1

So last night I went out with some guys and got some experience with getting blown out. I opened one set successfully, so I think that I'm 1/50 on my challenge.

The first place that we went, I got a plastic lei from a girl but then she blew me out. Almost all of the sets there were mixed, and we were too scared to open mixed sets. We decided to move on.

The next place we went to was a loud dance club. I went up to some girls and opened with "do drunken I love yous count?" Right after I finished with the opener, I got blown out by her friend. I opened another set, and had a similar problem. The third set that I opened went ok (a cute girl and her ugly friend). I opened with "guy found pictures of girl's exes", and transitioned to small talk. I think that I hooked ok (they seemed interested enough), but then didn't know what to say so I ejected.

I may have attempted to open one or two more sets but not been heard by the girls (so I'm not going to talk about those). I need to focus on projecting my voice more, especially

After that, we finished up back on this side of the river. We went to another really loud club. I attempted to open a set, but she couldn't hear me.

Lessons from last night:
1) Getting blown out really isn't bad. In fact, its cool because it means that I'm taking a risk. I usually feel better rather than worse.
2) I need to project my voice much better. In loud clubs, your ability to project really well determines whether people will be able to hear you.
3) I need to can some material for when I hook the opener. I'm just not comfortable enough to wing it, so I think that I should create a canned routine just in case. I can always deviate, but its something to fall back on.
4) Dance club game is purely about body language. I need to get much better at that. I think that by the time I accomplish my goal, I should be comfortable enough with opening a set that I can start paying attention to other details.

No comments: