Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day 4

Tonight I tried something new. My goal was to open as many mixed sets as possible.

First I went to a dinner social event, and talked to some girls. One was smoking, and the other was cute. The smoking one was getting a lot of attention. I could hold her, but it was a lot of work and someone distracted me while I was talking to her. I could have gone back in, but I got lazy and worked on the other one. The attraction was on pretty much instantly, and I ended up with her number. In hindsight, she was going home and I probably could have pulled her out with me. Lesson learned.

I went out to Allston with some school friends, and Coldplayer met us out. I opened a few sets for fun. One was an UG with a tiara - it was her birthday. I also talked to some girls at the bar. One of them was cute, but I wanted to get back to my group (it was also easier to eject than to keep running).

I also saw some people I recognized - turns out they are Yelpers, and I have met one of them. I merged sets with the school friends, which was ok, but they didn't add much value to the interaction.

We bounced to the main Allston venue, and I decided to work on opening mixed sets. I opened a 4-set, which turned out to be a 2-set that some guys had approached. I blew them out instantly - they stuck around and gave me a priceless look. The set with the girls was ok - it can be challenging to run a 2-set, because you can't isolate the target unless a wing comes in and occupies her. I tried locking in with the target and running the obstacle over my shoulder. It actually worked for a while, but they eventually went down to dance with their friends (birthday party). I should have gone for the number, but I didn't because the target was in town for the weekend (although she is moving back here soon).

I opened another set - turns out that I had opened them before with another opinion opener - I suppose that girls get opened all the time with opinion openers. I should have stuck in for longer - they didn't seem disinterested in talking to me. But I ejected.

Next I opened a 5-set with 1 girl and like 4 guys. Not sure whether any of them was a BF. I asked them whether guys like Mixed Martial Arts and girls hate it. The guys were like "it's stupid." I think that they might have done it for the benefit of the girl. The girl said, "I love MMA. I've seen it live three times." Eject. Could have stayed in longer.

I'll give myself another point for today, because she was cute.

No comments: