Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 18

I'll keep it short, because there wasn't much to report. Scratch that. Tonight was a big step forward in my personal development, despite the lack of a positive outcome. I'm completely outcome independence, so none of that matters.

Since I realized recently that I have eliminated pretty much all of my approach anxiety (through making at least 100 approaches in the last month), I decided that there is no reason not to go out by myself.

Tonight I made a conscious decision to go out by myself for the first time. I probably could have found a wing, but I didn't want that. I have been out by myself before, but was always too pussy to actually open. I set a goal to approach 5 sets, which I did. Some of them weren't HB sets, because I couldn't find enough HBs to approach.

The first set was at the bar. I think that I said Happy St Patrick's day, and then tried to continue from there. I blew that one out pretty quickly.

The second was a guy set. I started talking to some guy who was standing by himself. It went ok - I didn't really hook all that well, but it made me feel better. I should open more guy sets - when you're out by yourself, it gives you some confidence and a base.

Third was an UG set. I just opened them because they were around. I blew that one out fairly quickly. I wonder why I have so little luck with UGs - maybe because there isn't any sexual tension whatsoever.

The fourth was an average set of girls. I opened them decently, and halfway hooked (I got past the opener, and even introduced myself). After a while, it seemed pointless, so I ejected.

I then went to another venue. After walking around, I approached a 2-set at the bar. I think that they were going to sit with their friends, so that one didn't last all that long.

Finally, I approached a large mixed set (one of the girls had a green wig). I complimented her on her hair (asked her if it was real). Couldn't hold interest, so I blew out of that one too.

I think that I came across as needy. It was a little rattling to be out by myself. No one mentioned it, but I think that my state wasn't as good as normal. I might have been a little low-energy as well. Towards the end, I tried to smile more and be higher energy.

Lessons Learned:
- Its a lot easier to run game when you have friends around for moral support and to wing you, but there is much value in gaming solo.
- Approach guy sets when you are out alone. Maybe you'll make a friend.
- Mixed sets aren't scary. Guys are just ugly girls.
- You have to come from a place of power, rather than one of weakness.
- It isn't that much of a commitment to say that you are going out for one hour. Just go into a bar and resolve to open five sets. If you blow out of all of them, so what. If you hook, that's good.
- When Tyler Durden said that it takes six months to become passably not lame, he meant it. Remember that he once sucked too, as did all of the greats. What made them great is that they kept at it, and didn't give up when it got hard. Keep working through the pain, and there will be good results.

1 point for tonight

No comments: