Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Being Self Amusing

So my parents were in town for a few days (my little sister starts college this week at a school in the area), and we went downtown for lunch. They wanted to go somewhere interesting, so I took them to a place where the wait staff has a reputation for being rude. It's part of the act. The waitress started out being sort of nice, but got ruder as she realized that we could take it just fine.

During lunch, she wrote semi-obscene things on balloons, and attached them to our heads (she tied them to our hair). I think that my balloon said "ask me about my rash." My mom asked her to take a picture of us - at first she blew us off, then grabbed the camera and took a bunch of random pictures. Some were of other people in the restaurant, one was of her butt, one was down her shirt. Finally, she came back and took a picture of us. I thought it was pretty cool that the servers are so self-amusing. Working at a job like that is probably a lot better than a standard restaurant, where you have to be nice to the annoying customers. I wonder whether it is all an act, or whether they preselect people who are particularly self-amusing.

After lunch, I decided to leave the balloon tied to my head for a few hours. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that big of a deal. A bunch of people looked at me - I smiled back at them. A few asked me about it (unfortunately, no attractive women opened me). My family even thought it was cool - my mom took a bunch of pictures of me in various locations, with the balloon floating above my head. Overall, nothing bad happened. A lot of people didn't care, a few people thought it was funny, and a few thought it was cool. Maybe I'll try it again at a bar some time soon.

I would highly recommend doing this.

No comments: