Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Opening Everything And Calibration

So I used to have a rule that I had to open every set that I saw. Regardless of whether or not I was attracted to them, I had to open. If I wasn't attracted, it would be a warmup. I could eject quickly, and move on to the next set. I had to open 10+ sets in a night. This worked pretty well - I didn't have much AA, and would open nonstop. My calibration got pretty good, and most of my sets would hook. I was getting a lot of numbers, and was starting to get Day2s. I even had a bunch of makeouts and k-closes.

Except for one small problem...

I was selling myself short, and wasn't approaching the hottest sets. I would approach a lot of 5s through 7s, but not 8s, 9s, and 10s. A lot of times, I would number close a girl and then realize that I wasn't all that attracted to her. I just wasn't getting the results that I wanted, and I wanted more. And I got impatient, so I decided to change my tactics.

I decided to only approach the sets who I was attracted to. At first, this went pretty well. I managed to get attraction from hot girls. I even got some k-closes and makeouts. But over time, my AA started to come back. I approached less. And when I did approach, the approaches didn't go as well. I started to get blown out on the approach, and didn't have as many sets hook. I also started running out of things to say, and my social calibration started to drop. Over the past month, my results have steadily dropped.

So I'm going to propose that I adopt a middle ground. I approach everything in sight, but also force myself to approach a number of super-attractive girls. It is good to be social with everyone - being social hones your social skills. Even when you aren't attracted to a girl, she may still have value to give. That way, when my 10 appears, I will have no problems approaching her. Deal?

No comments: