Monday, May 26, 2008

Going out Alone

So I went out alone tonight. It was the first time that I've been out alone that I really had fun. I could have gone out with friends, but had to do some work on my 30-day challenge (I had only been out once by myself since starting it, and although I'll give myself credit because I went out alone, I didn't open 5 sets and didn't attempt a number close).

Anyways, I went to a local club that was having an event tonight (I've vowed to stop going to places that charge cover, but it was only $5 tonight). As I got in there, I saw a cute two-set. Now I have set it as a personal goal to always open the first set that I see as I walk into a bar or club. No hesitation, no going to the bathroom - you walk in, and you approach. Bang. Tim actually talked about this on his conference call, but I realized this a few weeks ago.

So anyways, I approached, and plowed for about 10 or 15 minutes. The girls were reasonably receptive, but the set didn't hook hard. They were like "you're not from around here," and then said that I was too friendly to be from New England. I could have stayed in as long as I wanted, but I wanted to go check out the upper floors. So I left.

Walked up the stairs, all the way to the dance club at the top. I had been to this venue before, but only to hang out at the bar or play pool. I didn't know that they had a dance club up there, or at least I hadn't seen it before. Wasn't that busy, but the music was pretty good. I opened a seated two-set, but after plowing for a while, it wasn't really going anywhere. I decided to eject.

Opened another two set, who were in town from New York for the weekend. They were really friendly, but a few minutes after I came in, the Fire Alarm went off. The club was evacuated, and the fire engines came. False alarm. I talked to a few people while we were outside, but not much happened.

I went back in, and opened a seated three-set. That one went pretty well - I hooked the target and was having a good conversation with her. They didn't have a ride back, so they left to take the T back home. I should have gone for the digit jack, but I didn't. I don't know why I am so afraid to go for the number - I think that it has to do with preserving state.

Next I opened a standing two-set. There was a guy in there when I came. I'm pretty sure that he was a PUA - he was framing one of them as the leader and the other as the follower. I just stayed in there and talked to both girls and acknowledged his presence. My read (by looking at them) was that he was doing well but maybe trying a bit too hard. After a few minutes, he ejected to go back to his friends. I stuck in for a while longer, and they invited me to go upstairs and dance with them. One of the girls (the cute one) was Peruvian, and the other was Mexican (I think).

I spent the next hour dancing with the Peruvian, with periodic breaks when she looked tired. I tried hard to escalate physically, but was unable to kiss her (she seemed into the physical escalation, but didn't seem to want to kiss me for some reason). At some point, I got her number. She was really amazed that I was out alone (I think that two sets asked whether I was there alone. I didn't feel at all awkward about it, and I don't think that they cared).

When we were seated, her friend came back and got her stuff. From what I can tell, she was too drunk and got kicked out. They had to go home, so that ended.

I opened one more seated set at the bar, but didn't really try to plow nearly hard enough. I walked home.

This was a good night. It showed me that going out alone can be fun. You just have to be completely self-validated. It helps when you have a set hook hard and can hang out with them for an hour or two (it is probably harder when everything blows out and you have to constantly be opening).

No comments: