Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thoughts on Wings

So I've gone out with a pretty good number of guys since getting into this, and there is a wide variety in the quality of wings out there. I've spent some time over the past week or two thinking about what makes a good wing. Here are my thoughts:

1) A good wing is positive. He always gives you encouragement. He doesn't criticize you when you blow out of a set, or try to tell you what to do unless you ask for advice. He is always trying to pump your state. RSD has some good ideas about things to do with your wings.

2) A good wing approaches, and pushes you to approach. There are a number of really cool guys out there who either don't approach or don't approach enough. If you don't approach, you aren't going to get good at this. Success is directly correlated with the number of approaches. You need to approach until you no longer care about the outcome. At that point, AA no longer exists. Each night, you have to go through that again and again. For a newbie such as myself, I think that it takes about five approaches on a given night before you even start to hit that point. And I go out and approach A LOT.

When my wings and I go out, we take turns opening. I point out a set, and my wing approaches. Then he does the same thing for me. That's not to say that if I see a set while my wing is in set, I don't approach them (I do). It just helps if there is an expectation put on you to constantly be opening sets. The first approaches are always difficult, but once you get over them, all of the subsequent ones are much easier.

3) A good wing is socially calibrated. When he comes into your set, he doesn't attempt to steal your target or do something socially unacceptable to blow you out. You would be surprised how much it happens with some of the "wings" out there.

4) When you go out with good wings, you have fun and are always pushing your skils. If you aren't having fun (or aren't getting better), something needs to change.

No comments: