Friday, May 2, 2008

Shit Show Sets

Sometimes I open a set, and it turns into a shit show. I would say that this happens once or twice a week. By this, I mean that the girls get really silly, and say and do all kind of strange things.

Last night I opened a mixed 3-set. One girl told me that she was there for her friends' 30th birthday. The girl didn't look 30 (it is possible that she was), and most of the people were there celebrating their impending college graduation (it was a bar right near the BU campus). I called bullshit, just for the hell of it. I asked them how they knew each other - the girl told me that the guy with her was her "pimp." At that point, I knew that I had lost the game (I attempted to shift the frame, and lost control of it). I played along for a while, and then ejected. I really need to learn how to handle these sets. If anyone has ideas, I'm game.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the girls in the set being drunk. Maybe it has to do with me coming across as a "player," and this is their defense mechanism. Whatever the case, it is unnerving when it happens.

On another note, I get the distinct impression that I put off a player vibe. I've gotten called out twice this week. I don't use any canned material, and run pretty much freeform conversation, so it isn't what I'm doing. I read about this on one of the forums somewhere. It appears to be a phase in a lot of guys' development.

Maybe it has to do with not being 100% congruent. Before I was a chode. Now I think that I'm confident and cool, but bits of the chode stick through every once in a while. Maybe the confidence comes across as a bit of act. No worries. I'm only about two months in at this point, and have a long way to go.

Another learning: ASK FOR THE FUCKING NUMBER
I didn't digit jack last night. There were at least three sets that were strong enough to digit jack (maybe four). This needs to become a habit.

No comments: