Saturday, May 3, 2008

Number Closing and Holding Sets

So tonight was another solid night where I made progress and pushed myself.

I went out with a large group, including such luminaries as Cafepuck, Ae82power, Inferno, P1an0hands, and Stratler. We went to a large and fairly loud club, and we started opening almost immediately. We ran game until there wasn't anything left to run. Puck, Inferno, and I kept pushing each other to open - its great to have dedicated wings to force you to open when you don't want to.

I digit jacked my first set. It was actually my second digit jack of the evening (the first was at an event I went to). I have a pattern forming where I digit jack the first set of the evening, and then coast. Maybe I decide that I have done well enough.

The next set I actually got rejected when I went for the digit jack. This was good, because it means that I am pushing myself beyond my boundaries. I am going for marginal numbers. In this case, I detected lukewarm interest from the target. She wasn't making very good conversation (actually, her interest peaked and then started to decline). I was kinoing a lot - maybe that turned her off because she was low energy.

I actually had a few sets that I managed to hold despite the girls not being too into me. This had something to do with me plowing, and something to do with the obstacle being taken up by my wing. One girl kept backing off. I was kinoing a lot. She didn't back off from the kino, but she wasn't all that into me. I don't know how to get these girls more into me. They all seemed to be fairly low energy (one was a seated set I opened and ran for 10-15 minutes. The other was a girl who wanted to go home)

Interestingly, I noticed that cuter girls will kino you when you open them. Even if I blow out in 5 seconds, sometimes I will open a girl with kino and get immediate kino back. I think that this has to do with their BT being jacked up by getting hit on all night. Less cute girls haven't been hit on nearly as much, and won't kino back.

I also got asked where I was from a bunch of times. This is what girls ask when they think you are cool and the conversation stalls. It is infinitely better than blowing out. Note to self: change the thread to something interesting when this happens.

We opened a lot of sets. Inferno was a blast to go out with. I think that we are getting a pretty good crowd together, and I think that my game is progressing well. I feel like I'm doing better every time I go out. The going is still slow, but I'm noticing little improvements on a regular basis.

Lessons Learned:
- Figure out how to deal with extremely high and low-energy sets. I put off a moderate chill vibe. Really energetic sets won't open. Really dull sets aren't interested in me. I need to control their energy.
- Go for the number close. This is my current challenge, and I'm not doing well enough. Keep asking for them digits.

No comments: